I reckon many of us have been in that frustrating situation where, just when you think you’ve given yourself a stunning hair makeover, it starts to fade or grow out in a less than ideal way.
But what if I told you there’s a revolutionary way to colour your hair that’s not only trendy but also incredibly gorgeous? For those looking for a solution, especially to blend roots seamlessly, let’s dive into the world of reverse balayage!
The Rise of Reverse Balayage
A Brief Stroll Down Memory Lane
Balayage, once the crown jewel of red carpet roundups and many a Pinterest board, it has been a favourite over the years. However, 2023 has ushered in its edgier cousin: the reverse balayage.
Moving away from the standard progression from light roots to dark tips, this style showcases a reverse balayage light to dark transition. It’s not just a technique but an art, offering a fresh and chic look. And when you see the reverse balayage before and after photos, it’s easy to understand why everyone is so into it.
Why It’s the Talk of the Town
Apart from being a refreshing change, reverse balayage serves a practical purpose. For those who have always struggled to get their hair and makeup in harmony, this trend bridges that gap effortlessly. It’s perfect for those wanting to blend roots without a stark contrast, especially if you’ve got light brown hair or even blonde.
Ever seen the reverse balayage with a money piece accentuating the face? It’s nothing short of a masterpiece! The trick is selecting a haircut for your face shape to make the style even more flattering. And for the brunettes, the dark reverse balayage and reverse balayage brunette styles have been total game-changers.
ALSO READ: What Colour Hair Extensions You Should Get
Step-by-Step Guide to Achieving Reverse Balayage at Home
Prepping Your Hair
Before diving into the fascinating world of reverse balayage, the foundation, that is, your hair, needs impeccable preparation. Trust me; prepped hair can genuinely make or break the outcome.
1. Deep Cleansing: Start by ensuring your hair is squeaky clean and free of any residue or build-up. This is crucial because any residual product can interfere with the colour application, leading to uneven results.
2. Nourish with Oils: Hair oils have been our hair’s best friends for centuries. Apart from the apricot kernel oil that I swear by, there are others in my arsenal too.
- Castor Oil: This is like the holy grail for hair growth and thickness. Regularly massaging your scalp with castor oil can stimulate hair growth, making your mane denser and healthier.
- Avocado Hair Oil: This oil is incredibly hydrating. Packed with vitamins A, D, E, and omega-9 fatty acids, it’s excellent for moisturising and strengthening your hair.
- Almond Hair Oil: Rich in vitamin E, fatty acids, and magnesium, almond oil can prevent hair breakage and even shield your hair from harmful UV radiation. It’s a lightweight oil, making it perfect for those who want nourishment without the greasiness.
3. Addressing Dryness: Hair tends to get especially dry in winter. The harsh cold can strip our strands of their natural oils, leading to dry, brittle, and unmanageable hair. This is where hair hydration treatments come into play. Incorporating these treatments in your routine can restore moisture, making your hair softer and more pliable.
4. Preventing Hair Breakage: Brittle hair is more prone to breakage, which is why it’s essential to strengthen it. Regularly using a good hair mask or conditioner can do wonders. And remember, when you detangle wet hair, always use a wide-toothed comb, starting from the tips and working your way up to avoid unnecessary breakage.
5. Choosing the Right Brush: Believe it or not, the right hair brush for your hair type can make a world of difference. While paddle brushes are great for straight hair, those with curly or wavy hair might benefit more from brushes with wider spaced bristles.
6. Soft and Silky Strands: We all desire to get softer hair. One effective tip is to finish off your wash routine with a cold rinse. It might sound shocking (literally!), but it helps close the hair cuticles, leaving your hair smoother and shinier.
7. Wrap Up with Tips: Lastly, use a good niacinamide for hair treatment and indulge in other healthy hair tips. From trimming your hair every 6-8 weeks to avoid split ends to sleeping on a silk pillowcase to reduce friction, every little bit helps in achieving that dreamy hair texture.
Choosing the Right Colour
When opting for a reverse balayage, it’s essential to pick the right shade that complements your natural hair while adding that touch of drama. Here’s a breakdown to assist you:
Understanding Your Base: Your base hair shade is your canvas. Understanding its depth and undertone is key. This ensures that your reverse balayage adds dimension without looking out of place.
Brunette Beauties: For those blessed with brunette locks, the spectrum of brunette hair shades is vast. You can opt for richer mahogany tones or cooler ash shades, depending on your skin undertone and personal preference. Remember, the idea is to accentuate, not overshadow.
Blonde Bombshells: For my blonde lovelies, a reverse balayage blonde to brown is a stunning choice. It provides a seamless transition and adds depth to your golden locks. Think of it as the golden hour effect, where your tips shine bright while the roots bring the warmth.
Edgy Elegance with Ombre: For those who love a little drama, reverse balayage ombre is your go-to. Here, the transition from light to dark is more pronounced, giving a bold and stylish effect. Pair this with ombre hair colours, and you’ve got a look that’s runway-ready.
Pastel Dreams: If you’re feeling playful, why not introduce pastel hair colours into your reverse balayage? Soft lavender or a dreamy aqua can add a whimsical touch to your look.
Styling It Right: Once your colour is in place, play around with hairstyles that showcase its beauty. A do half updo or intricate boho braids can accentuate the play of colours, making your hair the talk of the town.
The Application Process
Sectioning and Colour Application
Begin by dividing your hair into manageable sections. This ensures even colour distribution and allows you to work systematically.
Starting from the mid-lengths, apply your chosen shade, ensuring that you go progressively darker as you near the roots. This technique aims to create a natural-looking gradient, reminiscent of sun-kissed tresses or the subtle play of colours in nature.
Incorporating Face Framing Highlights
For those desiring a bit more dimension and a pop of brightness, consider adding face framing highlights. These not only brighten up your face but also accentuate your features. It’s like contouring, but for your hair!
Once your colour has set and you’ve washed it out, the real fun begins: styling. With the myriad of hair styling tools available today, the possibilities are endless.
- Haircut for Face Shape: Before you dive into styling, consider your haircut. The right cut can complement both your face shape and your fresh reverse balayage. Whether you have an oval, square, or heart-shaped face, there’s a perfect haircut waiting for you.
- Wireless Hair Curlers: If you’re aiming for soft waves or those dreamy beach curls, wireless hair curlers are your new best friend. They’re convenient, efficient, and give you the freedom to style your hair anywhere.
- Natural Drying Techniques: If you’re wary of the damage from frequent blow drying, there are ways to dry your hair without a blow dryer. For instance, patting your hair dry with a microfiber towel or allowing it to air dry can be gentler on your tresses.
- Hair Oils and Nourishment: Remember, coloured hair needs extra love. Identify the right hair oil for your hair type. Whether it’s almond oil for deep nourishment or castor oil for promoting growth, there’s a hair elixir out there tailored for your needs.
- Best Hair Styling Tools: The market is teeming with gadgets and gizmos to give you salon-worthy hair at home. From straighteners that offer sleekness without damage to innovative brushes that detangle without breakage, invest in the best hair styling tools that suit your hair type and desired style.
- Setting and Washing: Once you’re satisfied, let the colour set as per the product’s instructions. Now, washing is crucial. Using the Fudge Clean Blonde Violet Toning Shampoo can be a lifesaver, especially for blondes. It not only removes any unwanted brassy tones but leaves your hair smelling divine for 24 hours, thanks to its FragranceFuse™ technology.
Aftercare and Maintenance
Maintaining your reverse balayage is as essential as the colouring process itself. For the best results:
- Shampoo: I’ve been loyal to the TRESemmé Color Radiance Salon Color Care Shampoo. Its Color Radiance Booster technology ensures your colour lasts 2x longer. Combine it with the matching conditioner, and you’re golden!
- Condition: The Keratherapy Color Protect Shampoo and Conditioner are gems. This keratin-infused duo not only protects your colour but also shields it from UV rays. Plus, the mango fusion scent is a delight.
- Products: Invest in hair texture sprays for that added volume and a wireless hair curler for those days when you fancy some natural waves.
Whether you’re a blonde going for a reverse balayage blonde to brown transformation or a brunette seeking a natural wavy hairstyle with a twist, reverse balayage is the answer. So, dive into this trend, share your results, and let’s make 2023 the year of hair makeovers!
And hey, who knows, maybe next time we can chat about how to wear halo hair extensions or the magic of a silk pillowcase. The world of hair is vast and exciting, and we’re just getting started. Cheers to fabulous hair days ahead!
Read These Next: