The Canadian dental associations have prepared a Canadian Dental Care Plan (CDCP) Proposed Framework with their recommendations for the federal government’s upcoming CDCP. They developed this framework using their expertise and research on what would create a strong program for all patients and dental care providers.
The main points listed for a successful CDCP are:
- Safeguard access to dental care by respecting the current workplace, school and/or group dental insurance system
- Allow each patient to choose their own dentist in their community
- Ensure people can access the dental care they need without having to deal with needless administrative delays and red tape
- Work with existing government dental programs so people can get the most out of the dental care they’re entitled to
- Fairly compensate the dental professionals who deliver the care
Additionally, they suggest the government implement a coordinated plan to increase skilled labour for dental offices, amid the current staffing shortages of dental hygienists and assistants that has been seen across the country the last few years.